Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment Office of Education, FSL-02, Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
The Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3) Office of Education (ED) seeks a Program Officer (Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor), FL-0343-02 to fill a position in Washington, DC.
- Position Opening Date: December 7, 2018
- Position Closing Date: January 11, 2019, 11:59 p.m., EST
Description of Office: The USAID Office of Education focuses on supporting the implementation of education foreign assistance, with the goal of achieving a world where education systems in partner countries enable all individuals to acquire the education and skills needed to be productive members of society. To accomplish this goal, the U.S. Government has two principal objectives:
- Improve learning outcomes; and
- Expand access to quality education for all, particularly marginalized and vulnerable populations.
Description of Position: The Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor will sit on the Evidence Team within the Education Policy and Planning Division, Office of Education, Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3/ED/EPP). The position will report to the Evidence Team Lead. As an Agreement/Contracting Officer’s Representative (AOR/COR) the incumbent will be responsible for the management and oversight of mechanisms advancing evidence objectives in the education sector. As a Bureau technical expert, the incumbent will substantially contribute to strengthening the evidence base in the USAID education sector, improving USAID’s M&E practice in the education sector, and increasing the monitoring and evaluation capacity and efficiency of USAID education staff. The incumbent will provide strategic leadership, technical guidance for E3/ED evaluation and knowledge activities, support USAID Missions with technical assistance for monitoring and evaluation activities, and engage with USAID partners, including implementing and donor partners, all with the purpose of improving the quality and use of evidence for the international education sector at large.
Description of Key Duties
- Provide expert technical assistance to USAID Missions worldwide to develop evaluation and measurement strategies, frameworks, designs, and operational plans and solicitations;
- Provide expert technical assistance to USAID Missions worldwide in the development of performance monitoring strategies, frameworks, and operational plans; and
- Contribute to Office of Education awards/contracts, with an emphasis on technical input for measurement and evaluation practices with relation to: early grade reading, math, and socio-emotional skills acquisition; youth workforce development and skills acquisition; higher education; sustainability & systems strengthening; and education in conflict and crisis.
- As an Agreement/Contracting Officer’s Representative (AOR/COR), oversee and provide technical guidance into the implementation of one or more mechanisms advancing education objectives in the education sector.
Professional Engagement and Deliverables:
- In collaboration with office colleagues, engage with global partners in the education sector to enhance USAID’s investments in evaluation and research;
- Provide technical reviews of monitoring and evaluation deliverables throughout the USAID Program Cycle (e.g., strategy, project design and implementation, activity design and implementation, procurement);
- Provide quality assurance services to USAID Washington/Mission education offices for M&E-related deliverables (e.g., evaluation designs, performance monitoring plans, data collection plans and instruments);
- In collaboration with Evidence Team colleagues, develop education-specific M&E tools (e.g., sample scopes of work, design guidelines, indicator banks) to improve the quality of USAID’s monitoring and evaluation practices and increase efficiencies for USAID Mission staff; and
- Travel internationally as needed to engage USAID Missions and partners.
- The ability to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance is required for this position;
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience required. A minimum of five years of experience managing monitoring, evaluation, or global measurement practices in the international education sector required;
- Extensive knowledge of measurement and evaluation issues in several of the following areas strongly preferred: early grade reading, math, and socio-emotional skills; youth workforce development and skills acquisition; higher education; sustainability & systems strengthening; and education in conflict and crisis;
- Field experience conducting evaluation activities (e.g., planning, joint design with stakeholders, data collection, enumerator training) in developing countries preferred;
- A minimum of three years of program management experience strongly preferred; and
- A master’s degree in relevant field required, Ph.D. preferred.
Application Instructions: Please send a cover letter, detailed CV, and three relevant professional references to Devender Kumar (email@example.com) with the position’s official title in the subject line by the position closing date.